Editing MARC Records and Ingesting into Solr on Ubuntu

Solr MARCSeveral months ago I wrote a post on installing Solr for indexing MARC records, and installing Blacklight as a search/discovery interface, both on Ubuntu Linux.  I promised to follow-up with a post on ingesting additional MARC records but never did. So here goes.

To get MARC records for Solr to index, I exported my LibraryThing personal library in MARC format just to have some data to play with.  Then, indexed it with Solr:

rake solr:marc:index MARC_FILE=[path to your marc file]

I should mention that because I had not worked with this project in many months, my Gemfile.lock for this project was requiring an older version of the rake gem than I now have installed, so I just removed that requirement from Gemfile.lock, ran ‘bundle update – -source’ (or ‘bundle install’ might work too, though it could confuse things) and then the rake command worked just fine.

That’s it. All done.  Start the rails server in the Blacklight directory and all the new records should be there, ready for you to search away.


MarcEditBut then I wasn’t happy with the quality of the MARC records generated by LibraryThing, so I then wanted a way to edit them.  All librarians have a love-hate relationship with MarcEdit, but it’s the go-to application.  Download and unzip: http://marcedit.reeset.net/software/marcedit.bin.zip

Problem is, though, MarcEdit is a Windows-based application (actually, it’s built in the .NET framework, but same difference–both are Microsoft).  So, on to installing Mono, the open source program for cross-platform implementation of .NET applications. First, add the repository:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list sudo apt-get update

Then, install:

sudo apt-get install mono-devel

Now, to open MarcEdit:

mono MarcEdit.exe

I can now edit my MARC records and re-index them with Solr.   But for my personal library, I’ll just keep using the LibraryCat mini-ILS provided by LibraryThing: https://wwwlibrarycat.org/lib/paulroberts — I’m really happy with it for personal use, but the Blacklight/Solr combination makes a great foundation for developing a robust customizable institutional repository.